This is a very early work made from woven strips of aluminium which I painted over in oil on an alkyd primer. Interestingly when I used alkyd primer many years later the paint wouldn’t stick to it.
This work has a typically “interesting” history. It started out as part of a very large panel – the various coloured shapes would have contained symbols – and used a lot of accidental lines and other variables in its construction. I then decided to cut the large work up, adding images, symbols words etc. to some and leave others as abstracts. I decided to cover this particular work with a series of perspex sheets making a superposed pattern – in at least one companion piece I inscribed marks into the perspex. I have got a feeling I finally exhibited the work under an alias!